Main content start

How to Declare a Music Minor

Prospective Music majors and minors are urged to approach a potential program advisor and the undergraduate student services officer as early as possible to create a program plan that allows for sufficient time to complete all academic goals.

1. Review the program requirements

The Stanford Bulletin is the document of record for all program requirements and university policies. Read through the desired program description and any related concentration coursework to understand the requirements and expectations of our programs.

Music Section of the Stanford Bulletin

2. Map out a four-year program plan

Once you have reviewed the degree requirements, map out a four-year plan to complete the major using resources like Explore Courses to determine future course offerings. Include requirements and plans for any  university requirements, additional majors, minors, studies abroad, or large scale extracurricular projects you might be considering. This will help you gauge whether or not it’s possible to complete all your goals during your time at Stanford. If you plan to become a Music major, you will need to choose a concentration as well. Feel free to consult with the undergraduate student services officer or any of the departmental faculty as you weigh your options.

Music Major Four-year Program Plan

Music Minor Four-year Program Plan

For MS Word versions of the above forms, rleigh [at] (email) the UG student services officer.

Explore Courses (Music)

rleigh [at] (subject: Declaration%20Questions) (Email UG Student Services Officer)

3. Find an Advisor

The student-advisor relationship is an extremely important one that gives students an opportunity to express intellectual concerns and discuss academic and professional interests and aspirations with someone who knows a great deal about music. Students must meet with their advisors at least once per quarter to have their study lists approved.

Prospective Music majors and minors are encouraged to find their own academic advisor as part of the declaration process. Visit the Department of Music Administrative Office in Braun 101 to pick up an Advisor Agreement Form or print one out via the link below. The undergraduate student services officer can offer guidance on how to select a major or minor program advisor. Students can learn more about our faculty from the Music site and the

Music Advisor Agreement Form

For the MS Word version of the above form, rleigh [at] (email) the UG student services officer.

4.  Meet with Undergraduate Student Services Officer

Schedule a meeting with the undergrad student services officer to discuss and approve your four-year program plan and to turn in your Advisor Agreement form. This short meeting is intended to serve as a means of working out any scheduling conflicts and to brainstorm creative solutions to issues with both documents. Regardless of your concentration area or selected advisor, the undergraduate student services officer will continue to be a resource through your time in the department, and can address any questions or concerns at any time.

rleigh [at] (subject: Music%20Declaration%20Meeting) (EMAIL UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT SERVICES OFFICER)

5.  Declare the program in Axess

When you are certain that you would like to declare a Music major or minor, submit a request for your desired program in Axess. On your Student Services Center homepage, find the drop-down menu option next to your quarterly course list that says “I want to...” and select “Declare a major or minor.” Follow the prompts to submit your request. Skip the course plan section, as you should turn in a PDF or printed form to the undergraduate student services officer. Upon approval of your course plan and receipt of your advisor agreement form, the undergrad student services officer will approve your request to add the major or minor.