Practice rooms are available on a first come first served basis during posted building hours and are for the exclusive use of registered Stanford students, currently employed staff and faculty, and members of the University community with SUID cards (family members without SUID are not eligible).
Terms and Fees
- Practice Rooms Fees are $50 per quarter.
- Students Enrolled in Department of Music Lessons have access to practice rooms at no additional cost (student sign up for practice rooms is required, but student accounts will not be billed for the quarters they are enrolled in lessons).
- Fees are billed to student accounts in each quarter. Those without student accounts or enrolled students requesting a practice room after the add/drop deadline for each quarter must pay by cash or check at Braun Music Center Rm. 101.
- Instructor Approval Must Be Emailed to Department of Music Staff For Use of The Following Rooms:
- Braun: Rooms 201, 213, 206A, PR11, PR12, and PR13.
- Practice rooms may be booked up to 4 quarters per current academic year (requests for subsequent years must be made in the Autumn Quarter of that academic year).
- Rooms 201, 206A, 213, PR11, 12, & 13 require a key and an additional $10 returnable key deposit.
Rules Governing Use of Practice Rooms
- Practice rooms are available on a first come / first served basis during posted building hours. Please note that during the summer, music camps use the practice rooms heavily.
- Practice rooms are for the exclusive use of registered Stanford students, currently employed staff and faculty, and members of the University community with SUID cards (family members without SUID are not eligible). All parties in the practice rooms should be registered and paid.
- Practice rooms are not to be used for ASSU student group rehearsals or sectionals. Any group violating this policy will lose all building use privileges.
- Turn off lights and fans, and close doors (for rooms requiring a key, close AND lock the door), when you leave.
- No equipment (instruments, music stands, benches) is to be removed from the practice rooms.
- No eating or drinking (except for bottled water) is allowed.
- Leave the practice rooms in the condition you would like to find one when you arrive, i.e. clean, in order, no trash, lights off, locked if appropriate.
- Report any problems with rooms or pianos to the Department of Music office (Braun 101).
**Updated January 13, 2021**
For Winter Quarter 2021, Santa Clara County's COVID-19 Tier color determines practice room availability.
Purple Tier: Starting in week three (January 25), practicing is limited to on-campus graduate students who play either keyboards or percussion instruments and are actively taking lessons this quarter.
If the county moves down from the Purple Tier before Week 8 (March 1, 2021) of the quarter, access will also be available to graduate students who play string instruments.
Purple Tier: Practicing indoors in the Braun and Dinkelspiel complex is not approved in this tier.
If the county moves down from the Purple Tier before Week 8 (March 1, 2021), access will also be available to undergraduate students playing keyboards, strings, or percussion instruments.
Requesting a practice room:
To register for a practice room for the quarter, please email Bryan Hardester with your request. Practice hours are available this quarter on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays between 9 am and 3:30 pm.