About Chamber Music
The Chamber Music program works primarily with ensembles that include string players, pianists and occasionally other instrumentalists interested in chamber music assignments. Applicants from all majors and departments are welcome.
If you have questions about whether this would be the best fit for your interests, contact the St. Lawrence String Quartet at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Auditions for Chamber Music are held at the beginning of Fall Quarter, and by special appointment in Winter and Spring quarters. The dates for the 2021-22 academic year are still to be determined.
- One may audition as an individual or as part of a pre-formed ensemble.
- If you are a member of a pre-formed ensemble and you have participated in chamber music at Stanford in the past, you may request permission for your group to register this year without an audition. Please have only one person per group submit a request.
- Chamber Music requires a minimum commitment of 3 hours per week. Attendance is required at all chamber music events listed below unless prior arrangements have been made with the St. Lawrence String Quartet.
- All participating Stanford students are required to enroll for Department of Music ensembles. If you are unable to enroll in Chamber Music for units, there is a process to request a permission number to register for zero units. Please address this with your coach immediately. Those registered for zero units are expected to fulfill the same course requirements and commitments.
- For more information about zero unit enrollment, please navigate here.
Please plan on attending the chamber music welcome meeting in Fall quarter. Date and time to be determined.
Placement is at the discretion of the SLSQ and dependent on several factors including the availability of suitably matched partners and coach availability.
After the audition period, successful applicants will receive an email with information regarding chamber music placement and coaching assignment. Once you know your coach, register in Chamber Music 171 in your coach's section.
A Few Reminders:
- Your coach is responsible for your grade and may choose to base your grade partly on attendance, commitment, and teamwork.
- Your group should plan to play in a masterclass and/or concert each quarter.
- When your group is performing in a masterclass or concert you are expected to remain in the audience until the group immediately preceding yours performs. You are then expected to slip out quietly, tune, warm up, and be prepared to walk on stage when it is your turn. Return to the audience following your performance.
Required Chamber Music Events 2021-22
- Fall Showcase I: Date, time, and location TBD
- Fall Showcase II: Date, time, and location TBD
- Winter Showcase I: Date, time, and location TBD
- Winter Showcase II: Date, time, and location TBD
- Spring Showcase I: Date, time, and location TBD
- Spring Showcase II: Date, time, and location TBD
- One chamber music event or masterclass per quarter (TBA)