About Chamber Music
The Chamber Music program works primarily with ensembles that include string players, pianists and occasionally other instrumentalists interested in chamber music assignments. Applicants from all majors and departments are welcome.
If you have questions about whether this would be the best fit for your interests, contact the St. Lawrence String Quartet at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Auditions for Chamber Music are held at the beginning of Fall Quarter, and by special appointment in Winter and Spring quarters. Auditions for 2018-19 Chamber Music at Stanford will be held on Sept 25th and 26th.
- One may audition as an individual or as part of a pre-formed ensemble.
- Everyone seeking placement must audition regardless of past participation.
- Chamber Music requires a minimum commitment of 3 hours per week. Attendance is required at all chamber music events listed below unless prior arrangements have been made with the St. Lawrence String Quartet.
- All participating Stanford students are required to enroll for Department of Music ensembles. If you are unable to enroll in Chamber Music for units, there is a process to request a permission number to register in MUSIC 171Z. Please address this with your coach immediately. (Those registered for zero credit are expected to fulfill the same course requirements and commitments.)
For more information about Zero Unit Enrollment, visit our ZERO UNIT ENROLLMENT WEBPAGE
Placement is at the discretion of the SLSQ and dependent on several factors including the availability of suitably matched partners and coach availability.
After the audition period, successful applicants will receive an email with information regarding chamber music placement and coaching assignment. Once you know your coach, register in Chamber Music 171 in your coach’s section.
A Few Reminders:
- Your coach is responsible for your grade and may choose to base your grade partly on attendance, commitment and teamwork.
- Your group should plan to play in a masterclass and/or concert each quarter.
- When your group is performing in a masterclass or concert you are expected to remain in the audience until the group immediately preceding yours. You are then expected to slip out quietly, tune, warm up and be prepared to walk on stage when it is your turn. Return to the concert/class following your performance.
Required Chamber Music Events 2018–19
- Fall Showcase: December 5, 7:30 PM in Campbell Recital Hall
Program information due November 14
- Winter Showcase: March 13, 7:30 PM in Campbell Recital Hall
Program information due February 2
- Spring Showcase I: June 3, 7:30 PM in Campbell Recital Hall
- Spring Showcase II: June 5, 7:30 PM in Campbell Recital Hall
Program information due May 17
- One chamber music event or masterclass per quarter (TBA)
- Autumn Quarter Chamber Music masterclass with members of Trio Latitude 41: Monday, October 22, 4:30-6:00 PM in Dinkelspiel Auditorium