About Chamber Music
The Chamber Music program works primarily with ensembles that include string players, pianists and occasionally other instrumentalists interested in chamber music assignments. Applicants from all majors and departments are welcome.
If you have questions about whether this would be the best fit for your interests, contact the St. Lawrence String Quartet at email@example.com.
Auditions for Chamber Music are held at the beginning of Fall Quarter, and by special appointment in Winter and Spring quarters.
· One may audition as an individual or as part of a pre-formed ensemble.
· Everyone seeking placement must audition regardless of past participation.
· Chamber Music requires a minimum commitment of 3 hours per week. Those who are unable to register for credit are still expected to fulfill the same commitment. Attendance is required at all chamber music events listed below unless prior arrangements have been made with the St. Lawrence String Quartet.
· All participating Stanford students are required to enroll for Department of Music ensembles. If you are unable to enroll in Chamber Music for units, please indicate this on your audition information sheet. Your instructor can request a permission number for you to enroll in MUSIC 171Z. Your permission number will be emailed to you. For more information about Zero Unit Enrollment, visit our ZERO UNIT ENROLLMENT WEBPAGE
*** Placement is at the discretion of the SLSQ and dependent on several factors including the availability of suitably matched partners and coach availability. ***
After the audition period, successful applicants will receive an email with information regarding chamber music placement and coaching assignment. Once you know your coach, register in Chamber Music 171 in your coach’s section.
A Few Reminders:
- Your coach is responsible for your grade and may choose to base your grade partly on attendance, commitment and teamwork.
- Your group should plan to play in a masterclass and/or concert each quarter.
- When your group is performing in a masterclass or concert you are expected to remain in the audience until the group immediately preceding yours. You are then expected to slip out quietly, tune, warm up and be prepared to walk on stage when it is your turn. Return to the concert/class following your performance.
REQUIRED CHAMBER MUSIC EVENTS 2017-18
- Fall Showcase - Wednesday, 6 December at 7:30 pm at Campbell Recital Hall
Fall Program Information Due: Nov. 15
- Winter Showcase - Tuesday, 6 March at 7:30 pm [THIS IS A NEW DATE] at Dinkelspiel Auditorium
Winter Program Information Due: Feb. 14
- Spring Showcase - Wednesday, 30 May at 7:30 pm at Campbell Recital Hall
Spring Program Information Due: May 9
- 1 chamber music event or masterclass per quarter; dates to be announced.
Don't miss the Tesla Quartet, Wed December 6 at 12:30pm at CRH. For full listings of chamber music events and SLSQ concerts click here.