RECORDED ARTS PORTFOLIOS:
What items are required?
All Arts Portfolio audition recordings must be submitted on the Stanford Slideroom website. Vocal, instrumental, and conducting auditions must be submitted in video. No audio-only files will be accepted, except in the case of composition applicants. Recordings must be accompanied by the following items:
- Musical résumé
- Confidential letter of recommendation from a music teacher or mentor
- $5 Arts Portfolio fee (submitted via the Stanford Slideroom website)
- For Composition submissions only: 2-3 copies of scores (PDF) and realizations (live preferred, MIDI is acceptable) of each score
When are the deadlines?
Deadlines below denote online submission deadlines for the Arts Portfolio recordings and the Common Application. The Arts Portfolio, Common Application, Stanford Supplement, and application fees must be submitted by the deadlines below to be considered for review. Test scores and Common Application teacher recommendations can be sent in by the standard application deadlines.
- Restrictive Early Action: Thursday, October 15th, 2015
- Regular Decision: Tuesday, December 1, 2015
- Transfer: Tuesday, March 15, 2016
How do I submit my recordings?
All recordings and supporting Arts Portfolio documents must be submitted online through the Stanford SlideRoom website:
- Go to SlideRoom.
- Sign in with your Common Application information or create an account.
- Select the MUSIC option.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions to fill out your application form appropriately and completely.
- Have your music instructor or a music mentor submit a confidential letter of recommendation via SlideRoom.
- There is a $5 submission fee due at the time of submission. If you are receiving a fee waiver for the Common Application, this also applies for Slideroom.
Important Notes about Recorded Auditions
- All recorded vocal, instrumental, and jazz auditions must be submitted in video format. Applicants submitting a composition supplement may submit audio only recorded or MIDI realizations of their scores.
- A recorded audition is an Arts Portfolio! Students are required to submit their entire application and all supporting documents for the Arts Portfolio via SlideRoom; see the Office of Admission website for directions and specific information about Common Application submission processes.
- All students auditioning in Jazz (instrumental or vocal) must submit recordings. We regret we cannot offer live auditions in this category.
- Recordings must be submitted via the Common Application Arts Portfolio process indicated on this website and on the Stanford Undergraduate Admissions website to be included as part of a student’s application. No recordings submitted via postal mail or email will be accepted.
- If you are planning a trip to Stanford and would like to hear more about the Department of Music and our undergraduate programs, contact Undergraduate Student Services Officer Rowen Leigh to arrange a visit.