***UPDATE: OCT 12, 2018—Due to unforeseen circumstances, we have had to cancel our regional audition date for Chicago on October 27. We have rescheduled Chicago auditions to January 5, 2019. Unfortunately, this means we must also cancel our Boston auditions for January 5, 2019. We sincerely apologize if you have been inconvenienced, and we encourage you to submit a video through SlideRoom instead. ***
Live auditions are considered part of the Arts Portfolio process, and students must submit their Common Application by the Arts Portfolio deadlines. Auditioning live can be a great way for prospective students to interact with faculty and an excellent opportunity to visit Stanford’s campus. There is no preference given to students doing a live audition versus students submitting recorded auditions.
Live audition applicants must submit an application to Stanford University by the appropriate deadline to be eligible to audition. See the Office of Undergraduate Admission website for details:
How do I request a live audition?
If you are auditioning live, do not enter anything in SlideRoom.
All students interested in auditioning live, either at Stanford or regionally, must submit a Live Audition Request Form. Student will be given a live audition timeslot when the following items are received by the Department of Music at Stanford:
- Live Audition Request Form with Common Application ID
- Music résumé (submitted via request form above)
- Letter of recommendation from a music teacher or mentor (confidential, mailed directly to Stanford Department of Music).
Please refrain from submitting a Live Audition Request Form without a Common Application ID.
A confidential letter of recommendation should mailed by the recommender to the Department of Music. The letter should contain the applicant’s full name and Common Application ID number somewhere near the top of the letter. No incomplete submissions will be reviewed. The letter of recommendation for live auditions can be mailed to:
Stanford University – Live Auditions
Department of Music
541 Lasuen Mall
Stanford, CA 94305
What are the audition dates and deadlines?
Due date for Live Audition Request Form and letter of recommendation for both Stanford and regional auditions
- Restrictive Early Action Live audition request: submit by October 15, 2018
- REA letter of recommendation: postmark date of October 15, 2018
- Regular Decision Live Audition Request: submit by December 1, 2018
- RD letter of recommendation: postmark date of December 1, 2018
Regional Live Auditions
- January 5, 2019, Chicago, IL
NOTE—Due to unforeseen circumstances, we have had to cancel our regional audition date for Chicago on October 27. We have rescheduled Chicago auditions to January 5, 2019. Unfortunately, this means we must also cancel our Boston auditions for January 5, 2019. We sincerely apologize if you have been inconvenienced, and we encourage you to submit a video through SlideRoom instead.
Live Auditions at Stanford
- Restrictive Early Action applicants: Saturday, October 27, 2018
- REA live audition materials submission and postmark deadline: October 15, 2018
- Regular Decision applicants: Saturday, January 5, 2019
- RD live audition materials submission and postmark deadline: December 1, 2018
- Accompanist Request Form should be filled out by vocalists who wish to use a Stanford Music Department accompanist during a live audition at Stanford
What do I play?
Be prepared to play two or three short, contrasting pieces that demonstrate your current level of ability. An audition slot is ten minutes long.
Important Notes about Live Auditions:
- Live auditions and audition videos are considered equally; neither type is viewed as superior to the other.
- Live audition requests are not considered complete until a letter of recommendation is received.
- Live auditions are scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Submission of a Live Audition Request Form does not guarantee an audition slot, as slots in certain locations may fill prior to the submission deadline.
- We regret that we cannot honor requests for specific audition times, as we are constrained by faculty availability. Due to the large number of audition requests we receive, we can only schedule onelive audition per student.
- We regret that we cannot guarantee that live audition time slots will be available, even if you send in your request by the deadline. We strongly advise you not to leave this until the last minute and to keep the recording submission deadlines in mind, so that if you are unable to schedule a live audition, you still have time to make and send in a recorded audition.
- Your specific audition time will be assigned when your request is processed. You will be notified of your audition time by email.
- For regional auditions, students are required to provide their own accompanist.
- All students wishing to audition in jazz (instrumental or vocal) or Indian classical musics must submit recordings (no live auditions).
- A Live Audition is an Arts Portfolio. However, the Live Audition Request and supporting letter of recommendation for live auditions should be send to the Department of Music and not to SlideRoom.
- Arts Portfolio students auditioning live must still submit a Common Application to the Office of Undergraduate Admission earlier than standard deadlines; see the Office of Admission website for specific dates and information.
- If you are planning a trip to Stanford and would like to hear more about the Department of Music and our undergraduate programs, contact Rowen Leigh, Undergraduate Student Services Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a visit.