Live auditions are considered part of the Arts Supplement process, and students must submit their Common Application by the Arts Supplement deadlines. Auditioning live can be a great way for prospective students to interact with faculty and an excellent opportunity to visit Stanford’s campus. There is no preference given to students doing a live audition versus students submitting recorded auditions.
How do I reserve an audition?
All students interested in auditioning live, either at Stanford or regionally, must submit a Live Audition Request Form. When the following items are received by the Department of Music at Stanford, students will be granted a live audition timeslot.
- Live Audition Request Form [Note: the deadline for live audition requests for January 10, 2015 has passed.]
- Musical résumé (submitted via request form above)
- Letter of Recommendation from a music teacher or mentor (confidential, mailed directly to Stanford Department of Music).
Musical résumé and confidential letter of recommendation are to be compiled and mailed to the Department of Music. Please label both documents clearly with applicant's full name and Common Application ID number. No incomplete submissions will be reviewed. The musical résumé and letter of recommendation for live auditions can be mailed to:
Stanford University - Live Auditions
Department of Music
541 Lasuen Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-3076
What are the audition dates and deadlines?
Regional Live Auditions
- Honolulu, HI: SATURDAY, JANUARY 10th
Live Auditions at Stanford
- Restricted Early Action applicants: Saturday, November 1, 2014 (at Stanford)
REA live audition materials submission and postmark deadline: October 11, 2014
- Regular Decision applicants: Saturday, January 10th, 2015.
RD live audition materials submission and postmark deadline: December 1, 2014
- Accompanist Request Form should be filled out by vocalists looking for vocal accompaniment during a live audition at Stanford.
Important Notes about Live Auditions:
- Live audition requests are not considered complete until the letter of recommendation and musical résumé are received.
- Live auditions are scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Submission of a Live Audition Request Form does not guarantee an audition slot, as slots in certain locations may fill prior to the submission deadline.
- Please note that we cannot honor requests for specific audition times, as we are constrained by faculty availability. Due to the large number of audition requests we receive, we can only schedule onelive audition per student.
- Our deadlines for each application year will help give you an idea of when you should submit in your Live Audition Request Form. However, we cannot guarantee that live audition time slots will be available even if you send in your request by the deadline. We strongly advise you not to leave this until the last minute and to keep the recording submission deadlines in mind, so that if you are unable to schedule a live audition, you still have time to make and send in a recorded audition.
- Your specific audition time will be assigned when your request is processed. You will be notified of your audition time by email.
- For regional auditions, students are required to provide their own accompanist.
- All students wishing to audition in Jazz (instrumental or vocal) must submit recordings (no live auditions).
- A Live Audition is an Arts Supplement! Students are required to send their entire application and all supporting documents for the Arts Supplement to the Office of Undergraduate Admission earlier than standard deadlines; see the Office of Admission website for specific dates and information.
- If you are planning a trip to Stanford and would like to hear more about the Department of Music and our Undergraduate programs, please contact Undergraduate Student Services Officer, Rowen Leigh, to arrange a visit!